Friday, June 7, 2013

Healthy Living on a Limited SNAP Budget:


Living on little more than $4 a day per person for food requires some restraint and planning to get it right. My household has only two people; a ten year girl and me, an adult woman who, because of my short stature, can eat far less than the standard 2000 calorie per day diet.
We do not eat lavish meals with meats and fancy cheeses but I would say that on the whole, we eat quite well. We always have certain items well stocked, mainly organic foods. I’m always able to get fruit I have searched around and know where to find the best prices on organic milk, eggs, bread, cheese, yogurt and other mainstays of our diet. I’d rather call The downside to this is that I have to go to several different stores to find all our needs within the SNAP budget. The upside is that supporting local growers and producers is still possible as many small grocers like Morrow Brothers sell produce very cheap. For example, apples are around 49 cents per pound there whereas at Fred Meyer, a reasonably priced grocery department store, the price is three times that. I also keep an eye out for reduced things. Fred Meyer reduced organic food all the time because it doesn’t move as fast as the other stuff. I also change what I plan to eat based on sales. We barely eat any meat also which brings the price down a lot. I used to be vegan so I know a lot of side dishes. For example, who knew onions, carrots and dill sautéed in grapeseed oil taste amazing?!
When big business needs help, the government “subsidizes” them. I think of welfare and SNAP as the government subsidizing and investing in our family that is trying to beyond our current circumstances.
With SNAP we can buy the plants and seeds to grow our own food. The issues with this are that we don’t currently have much space at our apartment and getting space at the crowded local community gardens is impossible. Even the PSU garden won’t hear my plea as the ground there is only for dorm residents. I do have a friend in Corvallis who allows me to plant a few things at his property. He tends them along with his garden and I can harvest the crop I invested in. I lucked out with that! But other SNAP clients don’t usually have the agricultural connections and know-how that I have. I spent my early 20’s managing organic orchards in two states and also learned biodynamic gardening in this time along with a 4-H farming gardening background. With the seeds and plants I have bought, I harvest untold pounds of tomatoes, onions, herbs, chard kale, carrots, plums, cherries, pumpkins, squash, artichokes lettuce, etc. There’s too much food! We freeze it, can it and give it away. In the summer months, we absolutely eat like kings! Goodbye Winco and Grocery Outlet, Hello Whole Foods and New Season’s. Actually, I’m still prudent at this time. I’ve learned that I don’t need all that convenience food, luxury items and fiddly fancy crackers to be happy and satiated. I stock up on things I really like but can’t usually afford.

Another strategy I use, like the Piatts in the article realized with yogurt, is buying in bulk. I buy a large tub of Nancy’s Yogurt and add homemade granola mix. We make a lot of our own foodstuffs rather than pay premium prices. I buy beans and prepare them ahead of time, make jam, make simple fruit and sugar syrup for pancakes, homemade hummus, pesto, fresh herbs in ice cubes, never buy ice, make iced tea, homemade soda (rare) with juice and seltzer water, etc. I make soup instead of buying cans. We do have some generous friends who have a small vineyard and winery. I also used to work at a brewery and know how to make beer. I have a friend who makes beer once a month and gives me a case. In addition, an ex boyfriend, still friend is a beekeeper and gives me honey sometimes. I think that these connections have made life easier for us. But in the article, taking the challenge did not take into account the fact that you cannot buy wine (or beer) with SNAP so it’s not to be included in the $4 challenge and getting help from friends was downplayed. I think alternative food gathering is common along SNAP clients. Many community agencies such as Neighborhood House in Hillsboro gives away free cake and bread donated from Safeway and the like. Also I know some people who (gasp) dumpster dive. I was once given a year supply of Organic butter and 10 frozen organic chickens, all unexpired, by a friend.
When we do run out of SNAP for the month, which invariably happens about 5-10 days before the Department of Human Services fills the card up again, we get creative and make meals out of the things we had been avoiding such as the experimental lentil stew I froze after one dinner’s worth. But if I had never done this I would not know how much I adore salted pepitas and dark chocolate nibs together. I also think the challenge of having less to eat for a short time can be good for your health. My daughter always has something she likes to eat because I’m creative and persuasive, but sometimes I fast for a day or two once a month.
One of the things that bothered me in the article was that the challenge taker’s seem to encourage the stigma of being poor and being a SNAP participant with their children. “I don’t want to be poor,” Mattias told his Dad” in response to taking the SNAP challenge. In our household, we are not poor. We have a low income but that does not define us. I tell my daughter that we don’t have a lot of money because I’m in school and one day I will have more money but we’ll still live like this whether we pay for our own food or the government subsidizes us. Eating like this can be good for you.
I think that Christian Piatt was right to be concerned about “assumed privilege” in his kids. Going to a restaurant is a rare treat for us. I realize that others may find it odious to live this way but maybe I enjoy the restaurant a little more because of it. Sometimes, when we’ve gone to a restaurant, we choose to go home because the service is better and we know what the food will taste like…good!

No comments:

Post a Comment