Friday, June 7, 2013

Letter to the Editor: Hope for the World

 I’m at that stage in life when you realize your parents are getting older and your grandparents and eldest relatives begin passing away.  This unofficial rite of passage can cause one to feel a sense of mortality gradually replacing the youthful folly of invincibility.  Because of the skewed perception of youth, we sometimes don’t put much stock in taking care of ourselves and our surroundings until well into our 20’s or 30’s when we begin to notice subtle changes and start to realize what “grownups” were always going on about.  You begin to think Mom and Dad might have been right about some things.
    Our bad habits start to  show their long term effects such as eating improperly, not exercising, lacking in hygiene contributing to obesity, heart problems, tooth decay, depression, hair loss, back problems, vision degradation and a host of other ailments including early demise. 
    Our environmental factors, both physical and social would have benefited from greater  interest, involvement and knowledge all these years.  Our lack of awareness in these areas can lead to a midlife crisis, where we wonder what our place and meaning in the world is.  Being connected to our world, socially and environmentally is the cure, I believe, to this kind of illness.  Knowing we are leaving the world safer for our children and others, contributing to the wellbeing of others in every sphere, involving ourselves in stewardship of the places we live, are all interconnected.  Taking care of ourselves is not enough to make us happy.  What will truly fulfill us is to give, not take of the Earth, other people and ourselves.
    This group of articles in Sarah’s Health Zine merely touches on the vast quantity of information and concerns that make up one of the most intriguing times of human existence.  But the thread that connects all of them is that people care about these issues, they are gaining ground for people from all walks of life, all ages.  We are talking, blogging, writing, singing, dancing, speaking, speeching about those issues that affect our world.  Sometimes I feel down and hopeless when I watch the news, but I can go online and read about some positive action happening like Strawbale Houses built for farm workers in Mexico and wells being dug all over Africa.
     I can find out ways to contribute locally such as volunteering at Nyberg Wetland in Tualatin planting trees or practicing libratory consciousness by speaking up when I see someone make a racial remark.  These articles have given me hope to see that I don’t actually have it so bad.  Others are worse off and better yet, there’s possibly something I can do to help.  I frequently hear people hemming and hawing about whether racism exists or not because they don’t ever see or experience it.  When I heard that African American babies had a high infant mortality rate because of their mother‘s stress levels due to a racist cultural atmosphere, I was appalled, but now I have some tangible evidence to share with naysayers.  Knowing more about the lives of others is a gift.
    I have learned much in the writing of these articles. They make my feet itchy though.  Less writing, more action is the remedy for me.  I hope that others may have found some benefit from my writing, especially the SNAP article from my own experience.      There are definitely ways to improve the problems of the world.  The world is a giant think tank.  I believe that people are mainly good, not selfish and greedy like many people so often say.  We all have needs and fears.  We have to clarify our needs and alleviate our fears.  Non Violent Communication is one way, Conflict Resolution is another.  I go with hope for a brighter future and more action!

No comments:

Post a Comment